Skip to main content

What we are doing to tackle companies selling driving tests for profit

Posted by: , Posted on: - Categories: Driving instructors, Driving test, Feature

We want to update you on the measures we’ve introduced so far to help learner drivers from being exploited by people and companies selling them driving tests at an inflated price and on the impact, they are having on learners and our service.

I also want to update you on our plans to update the terms and conditions for using the book and manage your pupil’s tests service and the ADI code of conduct.

What our insight is telling us

Over the last few months, we’ve been asking learners in our ‘unable to attend a car practical test’ survey if they have used any non-DVSA apps for their driving test booking. More than 1 in 4 learners said they had – 26.6% to be exact.

41.8% of you also told us in our ADI demand survey carried out in January that your candidates' tests were also being moved by unofficial companies.

It’s clear that this is a real issue, and we have already made steps to address it.

What we have done

Since we put in place measures to crack down on unofficial companies using our book and manage your pupils test service, we have seen a decrease in the number of learners who failed to attend their driving test.

Between June 2022 and August 2022, the number of learners who did not turn up for their test fell from 6,598 to 4,625. This is lowest it's been since September 2021. This meant that an extra 1973 tests went ahead.

We’ve carried out a number of measures to protect learners and the driving test service to reduce the number of wasted tests.

• In late 2021 we introduced Advanced Bot Protection (ABP) for all booking services. The ABP has successfully reduced bot traffic to the booking sites. Our market surveillance suggests some companies are ceasing to operate since DVSA introduced more robust controls.
  • On 1 June, we:
      • stopped accepting new automatic online registrations to use the service. New applications must be made by email, giving DVSA the opportunity to check them thoroughly
      • stopped accepting any new registrations from companies that do not have an ADI associated with the business
      • suspended around 4,500 registrations that were not linked to driving instructors
      • removed around 7,500 dormant businesses or where the registration process was not fully completed
      • reduced the number of times a driving test appointment can be changed from 10 to the pre-pandemic limit of 6
  • On 30 June, we launched our text message reminder service for candidates to remind them of the details of their test 10 days and 6 days before.
  • On 18 July, we launched our ‘Ready to Pass?’ campaign which has reached over 500,000 people and have directly encouraged learners to not use third party apps and use the official driving test booking service
  • We’ll continually monitor bot traffic on our service and regularly review the effectiveness of the ABP. We also frequently meet with the ABPs software provider to see what updates are available to us to introduce help us to strengthen our protection, as bots adapt to get around controls

We will continue to work tirelessly to crack down on people and companies that are exploiting learner drivers.

Updating terms and conditions

Before we can update the terms and conditions for using the book and manage your pupil’s test service, we need to carry out a review to see how businesses are swapping tests.

At the moment the 2 ways of doing this are:

• online via the book and manage your pupils test service
  • via emailing or phoning the customer services team

To help us to gather your feedback we plan to include questions in next ADI demand survey to find out how you are using the service to swap driving tests.

We need this insight to help us better understand how the service is being used so that we can set controls to monitor the service and identify any businesses or individuals who are selling driving tests at a profit. We are also keen to make sure we are providing you with the service you need and are asking for feedback on ways we could improve the service.

We’ll update you again in the coming weeks to let you know when the survey is live.

We’ll also be running a separate survey for businesses who are using our services to book and swap large amounts of tests. To find out how more information about how they use the service now and also get their views on ways we could improve it.

This survey will go live at the same time as the ADI demand survey.

How you can help us now

On average we are receiving 7200 number of calls per month. This has doubled since the pre-pandemic average of 3500. We now carry out over 4000 swaps per month via the customer service centre up from 560 per month (pre-pandemic).

The number of test swaps carried out via the book and manage your pupil;s tests service has also increase from 3,200 swaps per month (pre-pandemic) to over 17,000 per month.

Due to the high volume of calls we are receiving, if you have access to the book and manage your pupil’s tests service and have booked tests via the service you can also swap tests using the service.

Using our online business service only takes a matter of minutes to:

• book car, motorcycle and other types of driving tests for your pupils
  • change, swap or cancel appointments you have booked
  • confirm your pupil’s details before the test
  • manage your availability for car driving test

If you want to register for the 'book and manage your pupils test booking' service you'll need to contact DVSA.

For all other swaps you can call our dedicated ADI priority telephone number on 0300 200 1122 (press the 2-digit fast track code) from Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm to fast track your call.

Sharing and comments

22 comments

1. Comment by Robin C Lamport posted on

Are Driving test cancellations-4all.co.uk legitimate?
    I have strongly advised parents who have ignored my advice to use the DSA site

2. Comment by Bhoopinder Pal Chodha posted on

Keep it simple 1 test per person and no one should be able to buy tests in bulk

3. Comment by Jack Brown ADI posted on

Where is there ways to report Facebook groups? There are lots of Facebook groups, buying tests dates the second they come out. At all test centres, and then selling the test for the original test fee, PLUS £100 for the slot. They’re literally buying mostly all tests that come available so they can sell them on for £100.

4. Comment by Dnan posted on

It's Adis. Who are selling the tests. I believe there is corruption in the booking office and certain Adi. I have access to booking system yet can't see any slots. However students come to me with dates within a few days paying around 170 to 200.
    Dvsa need to sack their staff if they want to get rid of corruption and change the complete booking system.

5. Comment by Graham carroll posted on

That's great news, but I can't think of any reason why anyone, other than an instructor or pupil should have access to booking such a personal thing as a driving test. Yes there may be an exception, but not the norm.

6. Comment by David Curwen posted on

if candidates use the booking system, they should put in their driving instructor's ADI number and that will allow enable the DVSA to email the ADI this will have 2 advantages
    1. It will ensure that the ADI is aware of the change
    2. The DVSA will be able to assess if the lost tests are from ADI or non ADI tests. if a Candidate changes a test without speaking with the ADI then there may be a conflict and hence a test may be missed.
    The increased quantity of calls you are receiving will be, to a large extent because of the increased waiting time for a test clear the backlog and you will reduce the calls. (Common sense approach)

7. Comment by Gavin Brownlie posted on

You are not helping the situation If a pupil is looking for a test you have a 3-month waiting list They can contact a booking site they can get a test within weeks Where is that pupil going to go

8. Comment by Brian posted on

Not good enough. Simple solution is to remove the box 'to change the name of the person taking the test'..

Why don't you ask advanced driving instructors to work as examiners for one day a week to reduce the backlog.

Stop failing students for minor faults for example my Son failed recently for being poorly positioned in a right turn box. My Sons instructor was in the car, he told me he's offside wheel was just outside the box. He also had no minors. They expect the candidates to be accomplished drivers. We all know, when you do pass your test your not going to be the finished article.

Now we have to wait 5 months for another test. Absolute joke...

9. Comment by Martin posted on

Although I heartily applaud your efforts at stopping these companies, the waiting list times nationally appear to be appalling. At my local test centre, Llanelli, the OBS currently (as of 22/9/22) shows dates to the 5/3/23 with zero tests show as available to book. I currently have 4 pupils who have paid me the £62 to book their tests and for the the last 4 months I've not been able to actually book a single test. I am now having parents moaning and giving me verbal abuse as there are no tests available and have so far lost 2 pupils (and refunded their £62) due to the waiting lists being so long and not tests being available to actually book

10. Comment by Colin Foster posted on

Good, but it's about time, though...good to see there is a recruitment drive for examiners, but why close a busy test centre in High Wycombe,saying 'there is no demand' just 2 years ago? Then closing a reopened (not fit for purpose) test centre after 1 year?

11. Comment by Stewart posted on

How many people currently waiting for a driving test it must of came down a bit by now and have you guys got planes to change the driving test

12. Comment by Delhad Ahmed posted on

I think better going back to old system. Only candidates are able to test bookings.. No third party involved

13. Comment by Pam Walker posted on

How about number of passes/fails for those doing test in own car (school of mum/dad) against those with ADI?

14. Comment by Mrs SC Kandemir posted on

I’m so pleased something is being done, I’ve lost pupils through this. One pupil bought two tests £160, she wouldn’t let me have the name of the instructor. As didn’t want to get them into trouble. The tests were only one week notice, so I wasn’t able to take her. I LOST OUT.

I have a few pupils that cannot get tests, and have nearly bought tests from different sites, I’ve told them not to encourage them.

I was going to report one school to you before, but was worried to tell you. It is actually ZH driving school, they are selling tests £120.

I’m loosing business through all this, even as far as pupils buying there own cars to do tests.
    Something needs to be done and fast.

15. Comment by Mr.Muhammad Ikhlaq Khan posted on

It's very good purposal. Iam trying to get practical driving test date since mid of August 2022 but not yet sexceed. Business companyes charging 30 to 50 pound extra money for it along with DVSA registration charges.

16. Comment by Mike Carter posted on

Last night, while sat in front of the telly between around 9 and 11pm, I was logged into the "book a pupil test" service, looking for tests in Reading or Farnborough. Every couple of seconds I was clicking on the "next available" button. Probably 99 clicks out of every 100 yielded nothing. But then all of a sudden a slot would appear, and I would immediately click on it.
    But on every single occasion, it had already been grabbed.
    Quite clearly I was competing against bots which have managed to bypass the DVSA's laughably inadequate bot prevention measures.
    There was one booking which I was able to grab, dated this coming Monday, ie too close to be eligible for a free cancellation or update, which is why the bots didn't grab it.
    What any reasonably IT-literate person would be able to see, is that the point at which a booking is grabbed is the point at which the grabber needs to prove he/she is not a robot.
    Come on DVSA, it really shouldn't be that difficult.

17. Comment by Sualdam MacSamildanach posted on

I have always been completely opposed to any form of 3rd party test booking service and I never recommend to my pupils that they use one.

The reason is that those dates have got to come from somewhere, and that somewhere is where genuine candidates are finding nothing available - the DVSA website.

However, I know that some DO use cancellation checkers. If I can do the arranged date - and if I agree they are test ready, AND if it is at the test centre we'd been planning to use, AND if it isn't at ultra-short notice - then we will do it. But it does cause problems with overlaps of tests and moving other pupils.

If DVSA provided the same service as these 3rd parties - alerts to cancellation dates - then the 3rd parties would cease to exist, since their relevance would disappear instantly. Even more so if instructors could see those changes in near-real time.

Right now, it is an utter pain having to scroll week by week. I would love to see the whole three months at a glance. And I would love to get notification of available slots as they arise.

If the 3rd parties were out of the frame, that would work if only instructors (and pupils) had access to bookings.

18. Comment by Gemma Pym posted on

I'm so pleased you've cracked down on the unofficial companies using the booking service. However this hasn't made much difference in opening up more test spaces. I think you need to recruit more examiners and open up more test times. Perhaps on Sundays? Also on bank holidays, instead of waiting for them to volunteer maybe make it part of a shift pattern or offer a better incentive where they may be more willing to work. At the minute my pupils can not get a test untill March, this is nuts, a massive 6 months away. I understand Covid created alot of backlogs and delays but other companies and services have managed to catch up. It really is unacceptable especially from a huge powerful government body such as the DVSA.

19. Comment by Michel posted on

I think they have to make a system to inspect Lerner driving test because the exams pass them by choice and is really bad.i think something needs to be done about this.

20. Comment by Jazz posted on

I must say, I personally have not noticed any changes at all , still massive waiting times in West london.

21. Comment by Vince posted on

This problem will never stop because its largely the ADI's themselves causing it. If you wish to stop this the solution is so simple. Candidate A books their test, they are the person that must show up on the day, if candidate A cannot take the test they must go online cancel it and book another. Stop all this switching tests between people and instructors making vast sums of money out of basically "ticket touting" test bookings.

22. Comment by Michael posted on

Based on what I have heard the efforts made so far have not been adequate all. I have not been able to book candidates ready for their test since April when we got a few slots. What has really changed since then? I believe system should be only available to Candidates and Adi to book test. The system should be able to verify each candidate via driving licence number and theory test, etc. Bulk booking without candidates details should be suspended for the time being. Perhaps we need to look at the IT company attempting to block automatic bookings on be half of DVSA