DVSA trade marks enhance the commercial value and reputation of our organisation and brand. As DVSA’s intellectual property manager, I would like to advise you of best practice if you want to use them.
What we use trademarks for
We use trademarks on our products to promote them, show ownership and indicate quality.
Our logos are trademarks.
As they’re valuable to us, we’ve added extra legal protection by getting some of them registered. This helps us guard our intellectual property in actions against infringers, who might try to misuse them.
What our registered trademarks include
- Pass Plus
- register of post-test motorcycle trainers
- enhanced rider scheme
- Driver CPC
- pre-2012 corporate VOSA and DSA
The DVSA corporate logo isn’t registered as a trademark, but it has special protection from misuse because it incorporates the Royal Coat of Arms. It can be a criminal offence to misuse this.
Different rules for different logos
The rules for using our logos vary. Factors include:
- your eligibility to use a logo
- where you can use it (e.g. DVSA corporate logo should not be displayed on a vehicle, but can go on your website)
- whether to display a textual strapline below a logo (e.g. a strapline is usually needed with the DVSA corporate logo)
Eligibility to use specific logos
You may be eligible to use the DVSA corporate logo with a strapline if you’re a:
- DVSA approved driving instructor (ADI)
- driving school using fully qualified ADIs
- trainer on the DVSA Official Register of Driving Instructor Training (ORDIT) register
- trainer on the register of post-test motorcycle trainers (RPMT)
- DVSA approved motorcycle training body and RPMT trainer
- large goods vehicle (LGV) instructor who has qualified onto the DVSA register and holds a current certificate
- DVSA accredited LGV driver training centre
- DVSA approved training body for The International Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Road (ADR)
- Drink-drive rehabilitation scheme (DDRS) course provider
You may be eligible to use the Pass Plus logo if you’re an ADI on the register of Pass Plus instructors.
You may be eligible to use the RPMT and ERS logos if you’re a motorcycle trainer on the register of post-test motorcycle trainers.
You may be eligible to use the Driver CPC logo with a strapline if you’re a training centre or body that has been approved to deliver periodic training.
Read our guide to learn more about our logo usage eligibility rules.
How to apply to use a DVSA logo
If you think you’re eligible to use one of our logos, you’ll need to:
- visit the guide 'Get permission to use DVSA logos' and download the 'Request to use DVSA logos' form
- complete the form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org - remember to include relevant details (eg. your ADI number)
Once we receive it, we’ll check it and then aim to get back to you within 10 working days. If we approve your application, we’ll send you the logo files to use. If your application is unsuccessful, we’ll let you know why.
How to report misuse of DVSA trademarks
We pursue people who misuse a DVSA trademark. Such misuse can include falsely claiming ‘endorsement’ or an association which doesn’t exist.
We know that the majority of you who use our trademarks do so properly, and stopping trademark misuse will benefit all legitimate users.
So if you see or suspect misuse of a DVSA trademark, please tell us.
To stay up to date: